Tuesday 12 April 2011

Impression from the eco fair

For several days I’ve been trying to write on the blog to tell you how it was at the fair. I kept thinking what to write. How to start. What should I tell you first. Perhaps the fact that I had the feeling that many of the visitors who stopped by the stand where children from Glodeanu sold cards were sent by someone. Someone important sent by He who listens to these children everyday prayers.

You may think I am overreacting, but it rarely happens to meet in a single day so many warm – hearted little people. 

How to make myself understood? What words could express better the feeling and the gentle soft breeze I got on Saturday? It felt like falling from the sky silk brushing your cheeks. 
It was a day filled with emotions, namely when I had to speak on behalf of these children at the microphone. What to tell people? How to tell them? How can I tell them with the children present in the room, who know the meaning of hunger and shortcomings; how to pronounce the word "poverty"? How to pronounce this ugly word to say without offending them, when they always try to hide the truth in front of their schoolmates because they are ashamed of it. They are embarrassed to say that they don’t have coloured books or welcoming homes. I am used to speaking in public, but on Satuday I could hardly talk through all the tears.

At the end of the speech, Loredana, a 10 year old girl came to me, hugged me and told me that she liked it. She said that she knew what I meant. All day, I sneakily watched  this gray-eyed child and  I felt her fragile soul like a flower that could flourish nicely if someone allows it to develop in harmony.

Loredana
I saw sadness in Jeny’s eyes as I never saw in another child’s eyes. Her head bowed looking down, Jenny told the whole day stories she had learnt all by herself  from the books at the library to the ladies that were selling honey. How to explain what kind of women are the teachers, Jenny Ivanescu and Viorica Ungureanu and their colleagues? How much dedication and time they have given to help these children make greeting cards and glass icons! How to explain to you the fact that the children were given a helping hand from their classmates? They all  worked and put their souls in there, without asking for anything in return.


How to talk about the tears seen in the eyes of those who stopped at the stand? How to say that the day was a joy that I shared with children and visitors at the same time? How to tell you how much talent we have seen in these children who exhibit their handmade goods? You should have seen them establishing prices and the look on their faces when they were offering gifts to those who came to help them.


How to explain that there were people who made time to come on Saturday mainly  for the kids? They brought toys, story books, food and clothes, pretzels and gingerbread.

How to tell you how beautifully the children were welcomed and  Mrs. Sanda from the fair immediately prepared a table full of goodies provided by the manufacturer. Dana Popa, who organized the fair, always spoke so beautifully about these children to every passerby... How to tell you about all these? 

I would not have enough words to describe the joy, the excitement, the sadness, the compassion, how all these mixed feelings were felt in an unforgettable day. A day when God was near. One day the angels smiled to us through people. We won’t forget it any time soon. That's  for sure. Neither the kids, definitely.


No comments:

Post a Comment