Thursday 21 April 2011

A different balance sheet

Photo source: http://www.fotokolor.blogspot.com/
So far, I have written about the visit to Glodeanu only in numbers, but I have started to write about people, too. In the post on April 16th, I did not write about my feelings and  perspective on children of Glodeanu. the I saw and felt the children of Glodeanu.

I do not know exactly when and how these children were irremediably glued to my soul. In the past month,  I have been thinking about them day and night.  Maybe you think I overreact, but I don’t. Unfortunately, I have not learned so far how to deal with their problem with more disengagement. Usually, I prefer to get to grips with it, fight a silent war, somewhat complicated, known only by me. In my opinion, a problem is a problem in daylight or by night. Because I dream at night, and  think by day, or vice versa, I dream with my eyes open and think by night because I can not sleep.

I thought day and night, as if I would forget, if I lost touch of it  one day. And if I had forgotten, I was afraid that nobody would have learnt about the children from the forgotten village.

During this period, extraordinary things happened. There were people who left me speechless. I do not give names. For instance, a friend’s teenage daughter donated her child allowance to these children. Strangers came with arms full of gifts. Anonymous gifts were left at the fair, even without waiting for a thank you. There were gestures that I can not express in words. There were moments of despair and wonderful moments, because miracles happened and things were better arranged than I had expected or dreamt of.  Another proof angels live amongst us and came to support. Me and the children. What could be more pure than their prayers raised to heaven? Is it a coincidence that the church is dedicated to the St. Philophteia, protector of the poor and children? I think not. Because I do not believe in coincidences. I only believe in miracles.

I thought that if went go to Glodeanu with full arms, in a way something would change. After I went there, I understood that that journey was just the beginning. It may seem strange, but I returned sadder than I left. Sadder because I felt the bitterness of those children. Lord! I do not think I ever saw sad children. Children who are afraid to look in a gift bag, because they never received anything. Children who do not raise their eyes from the ground, as if the entire universe presses on their shoulders. Children that rarely smile. Because they have no reason to smile. Because  some of them do not even know how to use a spoon and a fork. They can not speak because no one spoke to them. And those who know are somehow doomed. The village is about 40 km from Buzău. Now I understand what Jeni said. That she would be a saleswoman because nobody would support her to go to high school. I understand what the 9 year old girl said with a rough maturity, like an adult.

There are at least 7-8 children with  good learning results. Or maybe more. I don’t know exactly how many there are. They learn well, although they do their homework in unimaginable conditions, sitting in the cold and feeling hungry most of the time. They cling to the book as their only hope that could help them escape from their little universe.

I wish with all my heart that the story of the children of Glodeanu would not stop here. To make it possible, we need you all. All of you who gave little or more from what you have and shared with these children. Maybe a few years from now, we will write on this blog the story of Jenny who has graduated from high school and got to college. Or the story of another happy child who lives in the village with a thousand adoptive mothers and fathers. The priest from Valea Plopului, father Nicolae Tănase, who managed to take care of more than 340 children, once said that ancestors took care of the children who remained orphans after the war. People had it in their blood to take care of those children and it did not seem unusual to anyone. To dress, feed and bring up afflicted children. The children of Glodeanu are not orphans. They are just fate-stricken.

Nonetheless, we will try to find concrete solutions for them. Maybe for each family individually. Because I believe that some problems can be solved. And if you change a day in the life of a man, and if you give a piece of bread or a hug in the saddest day of his life, it certainly means more than anything. The first step would be to found a social center with a soup kitchen  created especially for them. I saw the land where the social canteen can be built. Right in the churchyard. Children should be protected by the St. Philophteia, known as the protectress of the poor and the little ones. They would eat hot meals and socialize with other children.  Or could be involved in educational activities. 

We don’t have yet a proper estimate of the costs involved. We will notify you as soon as we clear figures. Until then, the list of those who want to donate building materials for this purpose or money is still open. The money will be kept in children’s account until the start of the the project. Thank you all!
May God enlighten your mind, soul and give you nice holidays.

Nicoleta Țintea

No comments:

Post a Comment